Our third trip with Viking was The Christmas in Germany cruise on the Main River in December 2015 that went from Nuremberg to Frankfurt. It was on this cruise that we had our first exposure to European Christmas markets, starting in Nuremberg which is one of the more famous of these charming events. We enjoyed the smaller crowds and the markets so much that we’ve settled into traveling at that time of year for our cruises ever since – on the Rhine, Danube, Rhône, and Douro rivers.
Some of these trips pre-date the start of this travel blog. As we’ve been adding posts about these previous trips we found that pictures from Christmas market visits grab our attention. It seems like a good idea to include pointers to all the Christmas market posts in one place, and that’s what this page does.
Here are our postings that focus on Christmas markets and the holiday season:
- Enchanting Village of Colmar
- Rothenburg Christmas
- Nuremberg Christmas Market
- Favois: Nativity Scenes & Bread
- Christmas Season in Madrid
- Last Stop: Lyon
- Cologne: Christmas Market, Kölsch and Carnival Craziness
- Cruise Start: Regensberg & Munich
- Pre-Cruise: 3 Days in Prague
- Strasbourg Christmas Market
- #TBT: Foggy Wertheim